Monday, May 19, 2014

Walking With Dora





“Any time you think you have influence, try ordering around someone else’s dog.” – The Cockle Bur


It is day eight of the nine days I am babysitting Dora, a beautiful Victoria Day.  The weather has been unseasonably cold with frequent rain but today the sun is shining and the air is warm.  There is a lot to be said for taking care of a dog.  Dora is a lot of work but while doing that work, there has been pleasure.  

Rain or shine, Dora and I have been taking long walks every day.  We encounter many other people and dogs in our travels.  Those people and dogs don't know me but they know Dora so they often stop to chat.  It's nice to get to know people in the neighbourhood, at least a little.  While we walk we take in the sights of the arriving summer.  The temperature of the air isn't much of an indication that summer is on the way but the magnolias, cherry and apple blossoms confirm that warmer days are on the way.  We've seen beautiful birds - cardinals, robins, blue jays and woodpeckers and even spied a bunny or two.

Tomorrow night, Dora will go home to her mom and dad.  I will move back into my regular bed and appreciate once more the comforts of a sleep number adjustable bed.  There will be no more nights of standing on the front lawn in my bathrobe trying to convince the dog to pee at midnight.  There will be no more coaxing her to open her mouth to take her twice daily meds.  But I've kind of gotten used to those walks in the neighbourhood.  Maybe I'll just go on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment