Saturday, May 10, 2014

Dandelion Bouquet

"When you look at a field of dandelions, you can either see a hundred weeds or a hundred wishes." - Anon

My baby is in Rome and so, for the first time in 23 years, I will not see him on Mother's Day.  As silly as it is, I've been feeling a bit sad about that.  There is nothing magic about Mother's Day.  Jacob is always a good son, loving and grateful.  And I'm a good mom, even if I do say so myself.  It's just that for me, Mother's Day is a celebration of the best part of my life and while I don't need him here to celebrate that I am his mom, I know I will be feeling a void tomorrow morning. 

This morning my friend Geraldine stopped by with her three-year-old granddaughter, Emma.  I opened the door to the sweet sound of Emma's voice wishing me a Happy Mother's Day as she handed me a dandelion bouquet.  It's been a lot of years since I've arranged dandelions in a tiny glass to display on my window sill.  I had forgotten how much those little bouquets make my heart smile.

Tomorrow afternoon I will go to the nursing home to spend some time with my mom.  I will bring watermelon for her to eat and a small gift which won't register with her but it will serve as a reminder to her caregivers that she is loved and valued and they should treat her that way.  Before I go, maybe I'll stop and pick a few dandelions and put them on her windowsill, just in case something resonates in her when she sees them and brings a smile to her heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment