Friday, November 8, 2013

Dear Doug

“I’m not an enabler. No one, no one beats down Rob more than I do.” - Doug Ford

Dear Doug Ford,

Your little brother is in a lot of trouble.  The whole world can see that he is an addict.  We're not sure if it's an addiction just to alcohol or to alcohol and other drugs.  My best guess is that he has a serious problem with a whole lot of substances.  The size of his girth would suggest that food is likely also on that list.  Poor Rob.  Watching him implode is making me feel very sad.  While I am certainly not a supporter of Ford Nation, I am a human being who is watching another human being self-destruct.  I can only presume his behaviour is rooted in a lot of pain. 

You are his big brother.  I am not a big sister but I do have big sisters and so I think I understand, at least a little, of your staunch defence of Rob.  I know my big sisters would defend me to the death.  I know they have always felt responsible for protecting me.  I know that when I faced my battle with cancer, my big sister Cathy, tried to make a deal with God to give up fifteen years of her own life in exchange for adding an extra fifteen years to mine.  That's love.   

So I'm calling on you now as Rob's big brother to do the things, no matter how hard, that will really help and protect him.  He is in denial.  Judging from the interview your mother and sister gave yesterday, they are in denial.  But I suspect, you are not.  Set aside the needs of the city.  Don't do it because it's good for Toronto and all it's citizens.  Do it because it is what is good for your brother.  Convince Rob to step out of office and go into rehab.  He will listen to you.  It is your chance to save his life and it doesn't even require a bargain with God.

Yours truly,

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment