Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween

Bring forth the raisins and the nuts-
Tonight All-Hallows' Spectre struts
Along the moonlit way.
~John Kendrick Bangs

It has been quite a day in the City of Toronto.  The videotape showing our illustrious mayor smoking crack cocaine is now in the hands of the Toronto police.  Amazing, considering that Mr. Ford insisted that the tape did not exist and accused The Toronto Star of being on a witchhunt against him.  I've been awestruck for months that no matter what surfaces about the antics of our mayor, he is like teflon.  Nothing sticks.  I think his number is up this time.  His defenders, members of the Ford Nation, are already at it - talking about the good things he has done for the city.  I don't know what city they're living in.  Rob Ford is a neanderthal bully who has done nothing more for Toronto than embarass its citizens and sully its reputation.  It's time for the mayor to own up to his mistakes and time for those who voted for him to own up to theirs.  Listening to these nonsensical comments this afternoon, I was reminded of a diversity program I facilitated many years ago when one of the participants piped up about recognizing the good things Hitler did for Germany like ensuring the trains ran on time.  Seriously?  

I carved the Halloween pumpkin this afternoon with a cameo of a cat looking at a full moon.  It turned out pretty well but I think I might invest in some pumpkin carving tools next year.  The Halloween candy is packed in treat bags and sitting next to the front door.  A batch of chicken soup is simmering on the stove.  It's a pretty miserable day, gray and damp.  The rain is supposed to be heavy tonight so I don't imagine we will get a large number of trick-or-treaters.  I suspect there will be a lot of little chocolate bars calling me from the candy bowl in the night.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment