Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Duck Dinner Done

Death Is A Door

Death is only an old door
Set in a garden wall
On gentle hinges it gives, at dusk
When the thrushes call.
Along the lintel are green leaves
Beyond the light lies still;
Very willing and weary feet
Go over that sill.
There is nothing to trouble any heart;
Nothing to hurt at all.
Death is only a quiet door.
In an old wall.

- Nancy Byrd Turner

I attended a third funeral today in as many weeks, this time the service two hours away in the pretty, small town of Belleville.  My friend Lorrie's mother passed away last week and the service was held today in a beautiful old funeral home.  There were few people in attendance so I was happy Gail and I made the effort to get there albeit a bit late.  The GPS in my car couldn't find the address and I had to call Jacob to talk me in through Google maps.  Lorrie was pleased we were there. I have never met her mother and I know in some ways her death, while still sad, came as a relief from months of suffering.  I didn't expect to feel particularly emotional at the service but the last part of it left me drained and overcome.  After a beautiful eulogy delivered by Lorrie, we were left to listen to a lovely rendition of Ave Maria.  That song immediately takes me back twenty one years to the funeral of my father.  We hired a soprano to sing it at his funeral.  It was his favorite song.

By the time I got back to Toronto late this afternoon, I felt ready for bed but a quiet night in wasn't in the cards tonight.  We had already committed to attend dinner at Ruby Watch Company with Marg, Bob, Cath and Stan finally making use of the gift certificate I received from Marg and Bob last Christmas.  It was my first time at the restaurant but it will not be my last.  The restaurant concept is certainly interesting.  There are no choices.  The menu is the menu.  It changes each night and there are no choices to make save the bar.  We started with an excellent roasted cauliflower salad, moved on to flank steak in a short rib sauce accompanied by glazed carrots, broccoli and polenta.  All of that was followed by a cheese course and then an excellent chocolate bread pudding which in spite of its deliciousness, I simply could not finish.  Ruby Watch Company hits my list of favorite restaurants in Toronto.  I simply loved it.

I now find myself exhausted, emotionally and physically spent.  I think I will try to make it an early night.  No Jon Stewart for me.  Our cleaning lady will be here early tomorrow morning so the luxury of a lay in isn't in the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment