Saturday, February 2, 2013

Thirty-Seven Roses

"Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."  ~Pooh's Little Instruction Book, inspired by A.A. Milne

Thirty-six deep pink roses and one pale pink rose.  That was the gift I brought my sister Cathy yesterday as she wrapped up her long career with Rogers Publishing where she worked for more than 36 years.  One rose to symbolize each year and one to symbolize freedom.

Cath is still pretty young so I'm not suggesting that she is retiring.  I think she'll take some time to regroup.  To destress and restore herself to optimum health.  I imagine for the first few weeks, she won't know how to behave.  After all, in nearly 37 years, she hasn't ever been off work for two weeks in a row.  She may stay in her bathrobe until noon everyday, watching Downton Abby on DVD or doing crossword puzzles.  But I suspect that won't last long.  As Jacob said yesterday "It's the end of the chapter, but not of the novel."   

I don't think it will take her long to find the thing that she is passionate about and when she does, she will jump in with both feet.  Whatever it is, she'll be great at it.  It's a long novel and the best part is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment