Monday, February 11, 2013

Benedetto

"The future starts today, not tomorrow." - Pope John Paul II

Pope Benedict XVI surprised a lot of people today by being the first pope in 600 years to resign the papacy.  I think it was a good decision.  While I was a great fan of his predecessor, I haven't been a big fan of Benedict.  I don't dislike him but I'm mainly indifferent to his leadership.  If I was a more devout Catholic, I might feel more strongly but I don't identify very closely with the church any longer.  Though, being Catholic, I suspect is like being a member of the Mafia.  Once you're in, you're in.  You can't ever really get out even if you try.

Benedict is the only pope I've seen in person.  The two times John Paul II came to Toronto, I was out of town.  I saw Benedict XVI speak in St. Peter's Square when we visited Rome in 2009.  I must admit, I was thrilled.  I recall the waves of people in the square chanting "Benedetto, Benedetto" over and over again.  I cried when he blessed us.  But removed from the atmosphere of the Vatican, I could find little to share in the views of Benedict.  He is a traditionalist.  Under his watch, women would remain second class members; priests would never have the right to marry and homosexuality would remain an abomination in the eyes of the church.  It's time to move on.

The Catholic Church now has an opportunity to set a new tone for the century and to lead the world in healing itself.  By electing a younger, less traditional, more forward thinking pope, the church can create an environment of inclusion for all God's children, men and women, straight and gay, old and young.  A new pope can reach out to disenfranchised youth, to other religous leaders, to politicians of all stripes.  He can be the example of living with love and compassion. 

I will remember Benedict XVI with respect.  It took courage to step down and I applaud him for it.  My prayers are with the cardinals who will now be charged with electing a new pope.  I hope to God they choose well.

No comments:

Post a Comment