Monday, February 4, 2013

As We Forgive Those

“Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.”  ~ Corrie Ten Boom

I find myself troubled lately by the vitriolic comments I've been hearing and reading.  Whether directed at Rob Ford, Lance Armstrong, Beyonce or Oprah, these comments seem to be increasing on the meanness meter - celebrity bashing as blood sport.

I haven't made a secret of the fact I'm not a fan of the mayor.  I think he has behaved unethically and illegally.  But his conviction on violating conflict of interest laws was overturned.  He is still our mayor and we've got him for almost two more years.  A recent audit shows that Mr. Ford has also likely violated campaign spending rules.  Shame on him if it's true.  If he did the crime, he'll do the time but that won't remove him from the role of mayor.  Our city is facing some pretty big challenges.  I don't want to hear another thing about the buffoonery of our mayor.  I want to hear how we're going to solve our transit problems; about how we're going to deal with homelessness, about what we're going to do with our crumbling infrastructures.  Pointing out that Mr. Ford is a buffoon won't fix the Gardner Expressway.

Likewise, Lance Armstrong cheated.  He took drugs and went after those people who talked about him taking drugs.  He said he is sorry and he said he will atone for his actions for the rest of his life.  Maybe he will and maybe he won't.  Either way, he didn't murder anyone.  If he makes things right, he will set a great example of redemption.  If he doesn't, he will be squandering an opportunity to heal himself and his family.  Let's give him some time and see how it turns out.  I'm sending him my best wishes and hopes that he makes the right choices.

So Beyonce didn't sing live at the presidential inauguration.  Why does anyone care?  So Oprah thinks she is a messenger of God.  Who am I to say - maybe she is.  Either way, it's no skin off my nose.  Rihanna is back with Chris Brown.  She knows who he is and she made a choice. Her business, not ours. Lindsay Lohan is in trouble with the courts again.  How sad.  Enough.  Enough.  Enough.  I don't want to hear about it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment