Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Les Mis

“To love another person is to see the face of God.”- Victor Hugo, Les Misérables


Geraldine and I made our way to the Silvercity Fairview for a matinee screening of Les Mis today.  I never read the book but I saw the stage production three times.  It was by far one of my favorite operas though it was billed as a musical.  There is no spoken language in the film or on the stage and in my view that makes it an opera.  I didn't know how I would feel about the film.  It was sure to be more graphic than the stage production and  at three hours without an intermission, a long time to sit.  


The best word I can come up with to describe the movie is "brilliant".  Every performance was brilliant.  Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, Helena Bonham Carter and yes, even Russell Crowe were brilliant.  Twelve-year-old Daniel Huttlestone slayed me with his performance as Gavroche.  I loved every minute of it.

Don't wait to see this one until it's out on DVD.  It's definitely a movie for the big screen.














No comments:

Post a Comment