Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Lemonade

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party." - Ron White

My work this week took me to Brockville, Ontario to conduct an investigation for a new client.  I arrived around noon on Monday.  By last night I felt like I'd been there a week.  To be fair, I hear there are some lovely spots in Brockville.  I just didn't find any of them.  I stayed at their highest rated local hotel - The Holiday Inn.  I had a sizable suite which was reasonably appointed.  The big disappointment with the hotel was that there isn't a restauraunt in it.  As I wasn't in much of a mood to socialize, I made a trip to the grocery store and spent my nights eating veggies, cheese, pudding and far too many sweets for my own good.

Brockville was really not where I wanted to be but I don't want to complain.  I am grateful for the work.  The case is certainly interesting enough.  It's good, lucrative work.  I decided to make the most out of my two long nights in my hotel room.  I bought the first two seasons of Downton Abbey on DVD and played the discs on my computer.  I dyed my hair and stayed up late watching TV.  I spent some quiet time in reflection, worked when I liked, read and did crossword puzzles and snacked without worrying about leaving crumbs in the bed.  Last night I drove the 50 kilometres from Brockville to Smiths Falls to attend the funeral home visitation for my friend Helen's sister.  In that way, my timing was fortuitous.

I had hoped to wrap up my Brockville interviews by the end of yesterday but it was evident by early afternoon that I wasn't going to be able to do that.  I was convinced I would be done by noon today but as the morning wore on, I doubted I would finish today at all.  I had decided that if I couldn't finish in time to give me a couple of hours of daylight driving, I would simply go back to The Holiday Inn and do the drive tomorrow.  I finally wrapped up just before five o'clock.  The sun was setting.  There would be no daylight driving time. I hadn't come up for air for nine hours.  No lunch. No coffee save the cup I brought in with me when I started at eight this morning. I was tired.  Heading down the highway to get back to the hotel, I was seized with a second wind.  I spotted a Tim Horton's and pulled into the drive through.  I ordered a large cup of coffee and a Canadian Maple donut and decided to skip the hotel and hit the 401 instead.  By eight o'clock I was home.

It was probably crazy to do the drive tonight but I felt desperate to be in my own bed.  I want to wake up with a view of the ravine and slip into my tub for a long soak.  I want to drink my own coffee and eat the yogurt I like for breakfast.  Crazy or not - I'm home.  It feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment