Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lance



“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place." - Lance Armstrong

I just watched the first segment of the three hour interview Oprah Winfrey did with Lance Armstrong.  I don't know what to think.  I am one of those people who believed Lance through all his denials.  I thought he was a victim of a witch hunt.  Harassed and harangued.  Clearly not.  He appears contrite.  I think he's sincere but how would we know?  He says he will spend the rest of his life trying to earn back the trust of the world and atoning for his lies.  We'll see.

I’ve thought a fair bit about Lance in these past few days.  His book “It’s Not About The Bike” was a huge inspiration to me when I was sick.  I admire the work he did through his Livestrong Foundation.  I admire the guts it took to move from the impoverished son of a young single mother to great feats of athleticism and success.  Drugs or no, he still pedalled all those miles.

Tomorrow night, I will watch part two of the interview.  I may, or may not get the insights I’m looking for.  Either way, Lance Armstrong is still a young man.  He has done much good in his life.  He has made many big mistakes.  I’d like to believe there is redemption to be had in this life.  That people don’t have to be defined by the worst mistake they’ve made.  In spite of myself, I’m still rooting for Lance.

No comments:

Post a Comment