Saturday, November 24, 2012

That's Who

"Who are you
Who who who who
Who are you
Who who who who"
- Lyrics from "Who Are You" by The Who

Part of the British themed anniversary gift I gave Merv for our anniversary in August, was a pair of tickets to see The Who at the Air Canada Centre last night.  The concert was part of the Quadrophenia tour, the second of The Who's rock operas.  The Who was preceded  by an opening act called "Vintage Trouble" which did a more than respectable job of warming up the audience.  The lead singer seemed to be channelling James Brown.

It wasn't until shortly before The Who took the stage that our seat mates took their place.  I don't tend to have much luck with seat mates.  I swear somehow the universe conspires to put the largest person in the place in the seat next to me.  Last night was no exception.  The man occupying the adjacent seat was at least 6'6" tall and he seemed almost that wide.  He was in and out of the seats several times, making runs for beer and refreshments.  On his first foray back from the beer stand, while I was watching the band, I didn't see him coming.  Rather than excusing himself and allowing me an opportunity to stand and give him space, he barged through, stepping hard on my foot with the full force of his 300 pounds.  This morning, I have two purple toes.

The Who performed without breaks for two-and-a-half hours.  When they finished Quadrophenia, they sang a few of their old songs.  At that point the whole audience was on its feet, including the hulk next to me.  When he started swinging his arms, I began to feel completely intimidated so I sat down.  I didn't see the stage again until the very last song.

I was amazed by the energy of the band.  Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend are in their late sixties now.  They can still sing and still play.  My only note for an improved performance would be for Roger Daltery - Roger, you are sixty eight years old, please button up your shirt.  Other than that, their performance was flawless.  All in all, it was a good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment