Tuesday, November 27, 2012

G Whiz

"Baseball is like driving, it's the one who gets home safely that counts."  - Tommy Lasorda

Another rite of passage.  Another success.  Today Jacob passed his G license test.  The G test is the last in Ontario's graduated licensing program.  Last month, Jacob took the test for the first time without success, but this morning he nailed it.
 
As the test was scheduled for 8:30 this morning in Guelph, I booked myself into the Delta to ensure Jacob would have adequate practice time last night and this morning.  He was in stress overload last night so we had a bite to eat and I convinced him to just go home and go to bed so he might face this morning with a clearer head.  And that's what he did.  While he rested, I went back to the hotel and made the women's table gifts for our Newfoundland-themed Christmas Eve dinner.  Earlier in the day before heading to Guelph, I managed to find some faceted labradorite beads at a bead store on Queen Street.  I tucked my beading supplies into my bag in case I found myself unable to sleep and in need of a relaxing activity.  There's nothing like beading to get me to my Zen space.

When I finally finished the gifts around midnight, I decided to settle into bed.  But sleep was not to be.  I got a call from one of Jacob's friends who needed a shoulder to cry on.  By one o'clock I was struggling to stay awake.  At long last he settled down and was ready to go to sleep too.  I managed a couple of fitful hours before I got up and made my way to Jacob's before the sun rose. 

Jacob was nervous about the test but in control of the situation.  It was glimpsing that confidence this morning that made me know he would have a successful result today.  I am very proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment