Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Four More Years

"We are not as divided as our politics suggests. We’re not as cynical as the pundits believe. We are greater than the sum of our individual ambitions, and we remain more than a collection of red states and blue states." - Barack Obama in his victory speech last night

It was as engaging and suspenseful as an action thriller, though considerably longer. Neither  CNN's Wolf Blizer nor Anderson Cooper were quite as enthralling as Denzel Washington, but John King at the magic wall certainly captured my full attention.  Red states, blue states, political pundits, voter analysis at the most intricate level, races with hair-thin margins that kept switching from blue to red and back - by the time CNN called it for Obama, I was a nervous wreck.  I really wanted to go to bed at that point, but the last time I went to bed immediately following the CNN call was the night I went to bed believing that Al Gore had beaten George Bush.  Actually, I still believe that but I digress. I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to wake up this morning and hear that they had changed their minds.

I dozed a bit in the half hour before Mitt Romney made his concession speech which was short and I thought a little sad.  I'm not a Mitt fan but I felt a bit sorry for him.  I don't think it occurred to Mr. Romney that he might actually lose the election because he thought God was on his side.

It was an electrified Barack Obama who finally took the stage to make his victory speech. Not known as a great orator, Mr. Obama outdid himself last night.  He spoke with passion, emotion and conviction.  He held out an olive branch to Mr. Romney and the Republican party.  It was a wonderful speech to witness.

Today I have been listening to the pundits already talking about the trouble Mr. Obama will have in getting anything done in these next four years.  Many Republicans are claiming the President didn't get a mandate last night.  I don't really know how they can believe that, given that he was re-elected and ahead in the popular vote.  I hope in the days and weeks to come, our American neighbours find a way to put the rancor and divisiveness behind them.  If not, it's going to be a long four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment