Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Backwards Glance - A Forward Gaze

A happy New Year! Grant that I
May bring no tear to any eye
When this New Year in time shall end
Let it be said I've played the friend,
Have lived and loved and labored here,
And made of it a happy year.
~Edgar Guest


It is December 29, time for reconciling last year's book and making next year's plan. I will not remember 2011 as a particularly remarkable year. It had some good days and some bad. In January, I traveled to Chicago with my sisters and Geraldine, and checked a visit to see Oprah, off my bucket list. In March, Merv and I spent a glorious week in Mexico. In May we buried our dear friend Percy. In June we went to the UK for sixteen days giving us a chance to connect with old friends and family. For the first months of the year, my business was on life-support while my unpaid board work consumed my time and life. My tenure on one board ended while the tensions on my other board increased. In the late spring my business took off once again - the long drought ended by a deluge of work for which I was extremely grateful. There has been a great deal of sadness in the lives of people around me. There have been too many funerals, too much grief, too much fear. My mom broke her hip and lived to see another year. She will be ninety next week. I had another cancer scare of my own and breathed a great sigh of relief when it turned out to be just a scare. And I took on a new study project that I'm not quite ready to talk about publicly just yet. The year was full. And I am grateful for every day.

But now the time has come to look ahead. Of course there is no way to know what the year will bring. I imagine there will be some good days and some bad days. I won't be making my usual resolutions again this year. I'd love to lose some weight. I'd love to get organized. But I won't resolve to do those things. I will try to do them. Again. I will or I won't succeed. But I won't start my year by setting myself up for failure. What I will resolve to do is to try and look at the world in a slightly different way this year. I'm going to strive to be open to all the world has to offer and to all the possibilities for the enrichment of my life. I'm going to try and pay attention to what the universe is telling me. 2012 - I'm jumping in with both feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment