Saturday, December 24, 2011

Bittersweet

"Christmas Eve was a night of song that wrapped itself about you like a shawl. But it warmed more than your body. It warmed your heart... filled it, too, with melody that would last forever." - Bess Streeter Aldrich


I have finished arranging the centerpiece flowers and am about to embark on making the trifle before I set the table. It is Christmas Eve, my favorite day of the year. The sun is shining in the ice blue sky. Christmas music is playing on the stereo and the guests will arrive in a few hours. I love this day.

The only melancholy part of today is that Geraldine's sister is expected to pass within the next few hours. It has been a long, hard struggle but she is at the very end now. The death of a loved one is always hard but to lose a wife, mother, daughter, sister on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, somehow seems to magnify the sorrow of the loss. My friend David, who practices Kaballah, reminded me yesterday that it is both Hanukkah and Christmas this week - a time of miracles. So I'm praying for healing for all who grieve in this holiday season and peace in the hearts of us all.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment