Sunday, March 6, 2011

Homeward Bound

"I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself."
Maya Angelou


If I could find a way to do it, I would stay in Mexico for another week. This trip has been lovely. Until today, the weather has been perfect. It has been raining in Playa del Carmen since about noon. We still had an opportunity to enjoy our last morning on the beach. The rain almost seemed right - as if we wouldn't feel so bad dragging ourselves from the ocean vista to catch our plane tonight.

The shuttle to take us to the airport will pick us up at 4:40. For the past few hours we've been sitting in the lobby bar indulging in the last margaritas and servesas of our vacation. We've changed into our travelling clothes - admittedly mine thrown over my swimsuit. I've said a tearful goodbye to Alex, one of the lovely young women employed by the hotel who Merv and I spent some time with this week.

The service in this hotel is argueably the warmest and most conscientious we have experienced in any of our travels. I am reminded of just how wonderful the Mexican people are. The hotel employees are unflappable. Last night we returned from the beach to find a bottle of champagne and a note of birthday wishes in our room. It was addressed to someone else. Realizing the mistake we stopped at the front desk to let them know. The front desk staff were all pretty busy. While I waited I listened to the desk clerk deal with a guest on the phone. The newly checked in guest was calling with a demand to know exactly how old the snacks were that had been placed in his mini bar. Before he opened the ju-jubes and potato chips, he wanted an assurance that they had been placed there recently. The desk clerk put him on hold and called housekeeping services to inquire as to exactly when the mini bar had been stocked. He then reported back to the guest that it had been stocked one hour before the guest's arrival. He did it all with a smile. When I told him about the mix up in our room he thanked me for letting him know so they could send champagne to the correct room. The champagne sent to us was left for our enjoyment.

I know when I get home tonight I will be happy to slip into my own bed. I know I will enjoy my coffee tomorrow morning in front of the picture window overlooking the ravine. It is always good to go home. But today, I'm wishing I could be here just a little bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment