Thursday, December 16, 2010

Purely Happy

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
- Buddha


Our Christmas trees have been up for two weeks now. The foyer has been decorated in the red and white of this year's Canadian Christmas theme. Santa is standing at the base of the stairs. But it wasn't until Jacob arrived just before six last night that it finally felt like Christmas. I wasn't sure I would be able to stop hugging him. He indulged me with great patience. Once I was finally able to let go, our conversation turned to the odors wafting from the kitchen. Jacob was salivating. Before heading out for a meeting at the clinic yesterday, I put a host of beef ribs in the slow cooker and left them to cook in a concoction of dark beer, chili sauce, beef broth and maple syrup. I made the recipe up on the fly. The result was yummy. When I got home, I made a huge pot of mashed potatoes and steamed some vegetables. I was putting the finishing touches on dinner when he arrived.

Though his hair is longer than mine, he still looks great. There are moments though, when I hardly recognize the man who is my child. He has a cool confidence about him that I haven't seen before. It becomes him.

Though I hated to ask him for a favor so close to his arrival, I found myself having to ask for his assistance with an IT problem we were having at the clinic. The problem required a fast intervention. "No problem", he said and so this afternoon we spent a half hour at WTCLS where he solved our problem in pretty short order. Our day together has been easy, the rhythm of our companionship comfortable. I almost forgot how much I enjoy his company. The house feels full. I am purely happy.

1 comment:

  1. You glow when he's around. A Madonna like glow. Lovely Jackie.

    ReplyDelete