Friday, December 3, 2010

Glitter and Glue

“The greatness of a craft consists firstly in how it brings comradeship to men.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery


A couple of days ago Cath sent me an email from Martha Stewart Crafts. It was a how-to-guide to make glittering seashell ornaments. Cath wanted them but wondered if the required skill was beyond her grasp. I had to laugh. Unless I was missing something, it looked to me like a simple craft of glitter and glue - sort of like a more sophisticated version of a kindergarten activity. I watched the video and sent Cath a note. I would pick up the glitter and look for seashells. And Cath would come over for the evening and together we would create glittering seashells, Martha Stewart style. I called Geraldine and asked if she wanted to join us.

So for two and a half hours last night, we drank wine and played. Watching Cath and Ger provided me with some of the best entertainment I've had in a long time. They had so much fun making their ornaments that I don't even mind that my kitchen floor is covered in fine glittering powder that I'll probably still be seeing evidence of next year.

After they left, I sent a text message to Jacob. I was less than happy to hear that he has picked up another bug. He starts writing exams on Monday. I admire how hard he has been working these last months but as predicted, his body was bound to revolt against too little rest and too little food. I offered to bring him home for the weekend but he insists he will muddle through. With less than two weeks until he is home for the holidays, I suppose we both will.

No comments:

Post a Comment