Friday, October 1, 2010

Jacob Deprivation

Missing someone gets easier every day because even though it's one day further from the last time you saw each other, it's one day closer to the next time you will. ~Author Unknown


I know I saw him less than a week ago and that I will see him again a week from now, but I woke up this morning longing for the presence of my son. Jacob deprivation is always hard. I don't know what happens to me that moves me from going to bed feeling happy and confident to waking up with an almost physical ache of loneliness for my child.

I'm torn between calling him and asking if he can find some time to get together for lunch or coffee tomorrow, and just sucking it up for one more week. I'm sure he has a lot to do and I don't want to burden him with having to find the time or feeling guilty if he needs to say "no". It's only a week until he will be home for three days. I think I'll figure it out in the morning.

Sunday is the annual Run for the Cure event, which for me is more like a walk for the cure event. Nan and I will do the 5k walk together as we have done every year since 1998. Normally it is a family affair, sometimes even the boys have joined Cath, Nan, Marg and I for the event. But this year it will be just me and Nan. Marg will be returning from her European vacation tomorrow and Cath has decided to go to the lake for the weekend. And that is fine. It promises to be a beautiful day tomorrow and we will enjoy the walk through the city in the company of so many others in what is essentially a celebration of hope.

The ravine is a riot of colour, growing richer and richer each autumn day. I'll be happy to share the view with Jacob when he comes home on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment