Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Incredible Luck

"Good luck needs no explanation." - Shirley Temple Black


Eat to the Beat was a success. It was really fun to spend time with family and friends indulging in the delicious offerings of sixty talented female chefs. I was thrilled at my incredible luck in securing the winning bid at half the retail rate for a pink Kitchen Aid mixer that I've been coveting for the past five years. Little did I know, even more luck was coming my way.

I sold about forty of the one thousand tickets for tonight's raffle. I bought three. My sister Cathy really wanted the grand prize - a trip for two to an all inclusive resort in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. So at draw time, I moved close to the front and silently sent a plea to the universe that Cath's name was the one called. But it was not. Mine was. Needless to say, I sent up a large whoop and ran up to the stage. I simply can't believe I won. Before we even got home, I was dreaming of feeling the sun on my shoulders. I'm tired. I can use a week in the sun. Mexico would not be my destination of choice - I've been there a couple of dozen times but I can't argue about the price. Mexico will do just fine.

At the end of the evening, I met a group of five women. One of them recognized me as the grand prize winner. They noticed my Board member ID and asked me why I am involved with Willow. I explained that I know first hand how important the work is that we do at Willow and that it is my privilege to serve on the Board. One of the women asked me if she was understanding correctly that I am a breast cancer survivor. I said that in fact I am a breast cancer thriver. For some reason, she became emotional about that. She embraced me and they all wished me well. They told me that they felt honoured to have met me. Of all the things I won tonight, that felt like the best prize of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment