Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Changing Landscape

"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. "
--Stanley Horowitz


When we left for New York last week, the ravine was crimson. The shock of red leaves outshone all the rest of the colours in the ravine. When we returned, the red leaves had all fallen. What was left was an expanse of gold. I enjoyed the tremendous beauty of that golden ravine all day yesterday. I didn't realize it would last such a short time. This morning, the leaves that are left, are no longer golden. They are a brilliant orange. Simply stunning.

I expect there are few days left to enjoy this autumn view. Each breeze brings a shower of falling leaves past my window. I know the beauty of this season will be replaced by the beauty of the next. Still, I wish I could hang on to this one for a little longer.

I've been remembering the morning that the leaves unfurled last spring when I was driven to capturing the wonder of the ravine in a creation of green pearls. I thought about doing the same yesterday in something with a golden hue but I don't have stones in my inventory that serve as a good reflection of a golden ravine. Today will be different. I do have some strands of orange pearls that will work as a perfect reflection of this day's wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment