Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Our Friend Ron

Gone - flitted away,
Taken the stars from the night and the sun
From the day!
Gone, and a cloud in my heart.
~Alfred Tennyson


Last June my cousin Francis' daughter got married in Sterling Heights Michigan. Though we were very close as children, I've seen very little of my cousin in my adult years. We were thrilled to be invited to Stephanie's wedding and Merv, Jacob, Cathy, Stan, Nancy and I drove on a hot summer weekend to attend. The wedding was at a beautiful golf course. We were seated at our table all together along with my cousin's dearest friends Ron and Carol.

Jacob was struggling a little bit as it was the week after his girlfriend ended their relationship. I hoped he would find a way to enjoy the wedding. Ron and Carol were an absolute delight. Ron ran an advertising business and he engaged Jacob in a great deal of thoughtful conversation. He asked Jacob to go on line to look at an ad campaign his agency was preparing for Faygo soft drinks. He even followed up in the days after the wedding to hear Jacob's opinions. We had a great evening and parted with some real reluctance at the realization that in one short evening, Ron and Carol had become family.

Francis, his wife Pat, Ron and Carol traveled for a weekend at Cath and Stan's lake house in Havelock at the end of the summer. We would like to have joined them but it was Jacob's last weekend at home before leaving for school and the logistics didn't work for us. So instead, we all gathered at our house for lunch before they went on to Havelock and they again returned for a short visit on their way back to Michigan. Carol brought us each a framed photo taken at Stephanie's wedding, of us all together. We called it our new family photo. We planned to reunite this summer for a weekend in Havelock.

Last December, Ron was diagnosed with cancer. He went for treatment but things didn't look very good. Somehow though, we believed he had some time. We planned our gathering in Havelock for a weekend in July and hoped Ron would be well enough to join us. Ron passed away in the early hours yesterday morning.

Last night we attended a birthday dinner with Nancy and Aivars to celebrate their son John's nineteenth birthday. Though I felt sad to my core over Ron's passing, I put on my best game face and tried to engage in the joy of the evening. The dinner was excellent and the company terrific. I had a good time. When we got home, the boys went to bed and I took some time to sit and think before I slept. I spent the day today thinking more about the same question I was asking myself last night - How is it possible that the loss of someone I knew for such a short time, could leave such a big hole? I didn't come up with an answer. I'm just plain sad.

Rest in peace Ron. I will never forget the kindness you showed to my son, your warmth and your generosity of spirit. Wherever you are, I hope you know you were loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment