Friday, June 25, 2010

Gee 20

"I had hoped you would protest, but please don't argue." - Lotte Lehmann

So far the protests have been peaceful but the city is crippled just the same. Merv's office in Metro Hall has been closed for a full week now so he has been working at home except for a couple of days spent in Waterloo. Rogers Media has remained open but Cath has taken the last couple of days off for an extended weekend so Jacob has been on his own to get to and from the office. Call me paranoid but I've driven him to work the past two days. I didn't want him on the subway these mornings when we knew the protests would be growing and escalating.

I think I'm more annoyed than anything. I needed some beading supplies in a short time to meet some commitments I made to a couple of people. Unfortunately, my favourite suppliers are downtown on Queen Street so I've had to rely on places in the outskirts of the city. I've paid more than twice the price for my supplies and had to settle for less than what I really wanted.

I've been watching the protesters on the news at night. I'm not suggesting there aren't legitimate issues that merit some protest but I can't help but note that many of the protesters and some of the issues seem a little nutty at best. And what of the Forest Hill couple who have been charged with being in possession of explosives intended to be used in relation to the G8 and G20 summits? They are a geeky middle aged couple living in a million dollar home. What's that about? Instead of blowing things up, being violent and causing damage to people and property, wouldn't issues be better addressed by articulate speeches from clearly sensible people who actually look like they are trying to make things better? Wouldn't everyone be better served by dialogue than by dynamite?

Maybe we could ask the sixty-something leftover hippies with gray ponytails and Birkenstocks to give the young protesters a few lessons in getting attention and action by holding a good sit-in or even better, a love-in. Make love, not war! Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment