Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Beading in Bethany

Nor rural sights alone, but rural sounds,
Exhilarate the spirit, and restore
The tone of languid nature.
~William Cowper


My beautiful friend Dale traded in her city home at Leslie and Eglinton, ten years ago and with her husband Mark, settled into a country home in Bethany. Dale and Mark run a management consulting practice. They are also both artists. Mark is a musician and photographer. Dale makes fabric art, jewelry and quilts among other things. About twice a year, Dale and I get together to spend a day playing with our beads and crafts, sharing things we've learned.

For the last ten years, Dale has spent those play days at my house. Though she has asked many times, it was not until today that the logistics of holding our play date at her country home came together. I thought I might be in a bit of trouble this morning when Buffy (my GPS) could not find Dale and Mark's street, no matter how many times I tried to enter it into the system. That meant I would have to drive to Bethany using only the directions Dale had provided. While that probably wouldn't be a big deal for anyone else, it caused a high level of concern for me as I am so directionally challenged. Not only was I going to have to navigate the trip on my own, I was going to have to do it in the middle of a relentless downpour. Just the same, I headed out, prepared if need be to call Dale and have her talk me through the journey. Truthfully though, it was an easy trip - three highways, one very hilly country road and I was there.

Dale and Mark have a beautiful home. In moments I understood what kept them living so far off the beaten track. The house is on about fifty acres of land. It is clearly the home of artists. Some of Dale's life-sized figures stand on the wrap-around porch to welcome visitors. On a day when it is not raining, I would love to walk around the property. Even sitting at the window in the gorgeous family room was like watching a National Geographic special. Dale patiently named each bird for me as they gathered at the feeders by the window - some of which I have never seen. Underneath the feeders were dozens of chipmunks and squirrels - three of the red squirrels barely more than a few weeks old.

Inside the house, there were so many things to see. Dale has taken an interest in felting and has found many expressions for her interest. She includes felting in her wall hangings, felts mats for her trays, has bowls of felted balls on her counters and has felted parts of the clothing on her ornamental life sized dolls. It's all very interesting. So when she offered to show me how to create my own felt jewelry beads, I was all in. We spent a glorious afternoon, talking, rolling, shaping and beading. I strung a few pearls, we ate and I came home with a few new beads, the materials to make a few more, a new skill and the calm that comes from an afternoon in the country.

When I left Bethany for the hour long drive home, the sun appeared in the sky. As I drove west on the 401 and the sky became cloudier, the combination of sun and cloud created what I call, a God sky - well defined rays of sunlight shining down on the earth like in all the paintings of God reaching down from the heavens.

It has been a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment