Friday, February 26, 2016

Cancelled

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on; nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it." - Edward Fitzgerald


Late Wednesday afternoon I got a call from the scheduler in the pacemaker clinic at Mt. Sinai.  She asked if I wanted to postpone my surgery until next week?  I said no so she confirmed my space for Friday.  I woke up yesterday with more anxiety than I've felt in years.  I don't remember feeling so anxious since my first breast cancer surgery.  At least I only had one more day to wait until it was done.  Around 2 o'clock I got a call from a doctor in the pacemaker clinic.  In a very perfunctory manner, she advised that my surgery was cancelled.  Apparently, they are busy and I'm not a priority.  She didn't give me any opportunity to ask questions or comment.  She said someone would call me to reschedule.  I hung up the phone and cried like a baby.

It was noon today before that call came.  I have been rescheduled for Tuesday.  I advised the scheduler that if they again cancel my surgery they will have to pick me up from the psych ward.  She promised it won't be cancelled again.  I hate to be cynical but that assurance and $3.25 will get me a ride on the subway.

It's going to be a long five days.

No comments:

Post a Comment