Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Results

 "Good news is rare these days, and every glittering ounce of it should be cherished and hoarded and worshipped and fondled like a priceless diamond." - Hunter S. Thompson


After several weeks and more than a couple dozen tests I finally got my results today. When it comes to the functioning of my heart, I am very far from normal but I am normal for me and that's good enough.  There is no pacemaker in my immediate future, no futzing with my heart that is broken in theory but works just fine in practise.  Doctors are still unable to explain how a sixty year old woman can be adequately sustained by a heart that beats only 37 times a minute but here I am, active, busy and doing just fine.

If you ask an engineer to explain how bees can fly, you will probably be told that theoretically, they can't.  Their wings are far too small to lift and carry their too large, too heavy bodies.  The thing is, bees don't know they can't fly so they do.  I am like a bee.  I didn't know when I was young that my heart could not sustain an active life.  By the time I found out, it was too late.  I was already living it.  Sometimes it's better not to know and sometimes it doesn't matter if you do.  When in mid-air, it's best to just keep flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment