Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Oblivious to The Slow Simmer

 

"If you throw a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will hop right out.  But if you put that frog in a pot of tepid water and slowly warm it, the frog doesn't figure out what's going on until it's too late.  Boiled frog.  It's just a matter of working by slow degrees." - Stephenie Meyer


I'm feeling a bit like the frog in the old metaphor.  I've been wearing reading glasses for close to twenty years now but my long distance vision has always been great or at least good.  Since I suffered a viscuous detachment last year it has admittedly been less than it had been but I still don't wear glasses for distance or driving. Lately I've noticed the street signs aren't quite as clear as they once were. So last week I decided to go to an opthamologist for an eye exam. Following a thorough exam, the opthamologist told me my vision is lousy in all ranges and suggested progressives. 

As I was unable to wrap my head around wearing glasses full-time, I decided to take a couple of days to mindfully go through my life attempting to be cognizant of my vision and any obstructions I was experiencing.  Sitting in a conference room the following day at The Law Society, it only took until noon before I was ready to order new glasses.  When did I get so blind?  Everything was fuzzy.  In the harsh overhead lights I couldn't read the laptop in front of me or the words projected on the screen fifteen feet away from me. 

My glasses are on order though unfortunately I probably won't get them in time for Christmas.  I suppose that's okay.  The lights on the tree look very pretty in a blur.  My failing eyesight is just further evidence that aging is not for sissies.

No comments:

Post a Comment