Wednesday, December 3, 2014

13 Days of Giving

"Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
 
Last year, the remarkable organization, Change Heroes ran a program called 30 Days of Giving.  Each day in the month of December, participants were tasked with doing a specific act of kindness.  It was a great deal of fun and a wonderful way to fully engage in the joy of the season.  Whatever their reason, this year they have reduced the program to 13 Days of Giving.  Today is Day 3.  
 
As I'm struggling a bit this year getting emotionally connected to Christmas, I have welcomed the activities.  My mood is dark enough that I explained to someone today that to hit bottom, I think I need to climb up.  Nonetheless, I'm trying.  The tasks have been simple enough.  Day 1 was to compliment a stranger.  Day 2 was to write three things for which I am grateful.  Today's task was to bake cookies to share with my colleagues tomorrow.  I don't have colleagues and I rarely bake cookies.  Instead, I put some Christmas music on and stirred up a pumpkin spice loaf.  I cooled and wrapped it, ready for Jacob to take to work with him tomorrow.  I didn't get to sample it but the kitchen smelled heavenly.  I hope his colleagues enjoy it.  Somehow even that activity hasn't boosted my mood much.  Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment