Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Snow



"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event.  You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" - J.B. Priestley

I agree with Mr. Priestley.  That first snowfall is magical but too much of a good thing has made the enchantment wane.  I simply can't stand it anymore.  I've been trying to remember other years when it seemed the snow would never stop.  I know 2002 was brutal as was 2007.  I remember feeling that I wanted to cry when we had snow in April.  I don't remember feeling like I wanted to cry in February.  But the snow has been relentless this year and I'm feeling housebound.  

Today I am trying to appreciate the beauty.  I've parked myself in front of the fireplace looking out the picture window at the ravine.  I'll admit it is lovely.  This is not my usual place but it is probably the brightest room in the house and I thought the natural light might help me feel better.  It's also the coldest room in the house and even with the fireplace on, I am snuggled under the faux fur blanket that my sister Nancy sewed for me a few years ago.

I finished up a little client work this morning but I still have a bit left to do.  I also want to finish a penny project I started last week.  But for the next half-hour, I'm just going to sit and watch the snow fall and console myself with the thought that at least I'm on the warm side of the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment