Monday, February 10, 2014

Crying My Way Through The Olympics

"The Olympics are a wonderful metaphor for world cooperation, the kind of international competition that's wholesome and healthy, an interplay between countries that represents the best in all of us. "  - John Williams 

Given that I am not either an athlete or a fan of sports, it can be difficult to understand why I have such a passion for the Olympics.  Watching young people compete for excellence on the world stage moves me to tears over and over again.  Yesterday I watched the Dufour-Lapointe sisters stand on the podium to receive their gold and silver medals.  Justine clearly struggled but still managed to keep her composure while 'O Canada' played; I did not even bother trying.  I bawled like a baby.  Likewise, when Alex Bilodeau won gold and his teammate, Mikail Kingsbury won silver in mogul skiing this afternoon they met their victories with hugs and screams, while I watched through tears. 

I've been taking an on-line course at Yale called "The Moralities of Everyday Life".  We've been talking a little bit about tribal behaviors.  The Olympics is a great example of tribal behavior.  No matter what our political or moral views are, most of us, liberals and conservatives are bound together in cheering for victory for the athletes of Canada, our tribe.  Intestingly, my tears haven't only been reserved for Canadian victories.  I was equally moved by Russia's Yulia Lipnitskaia who skated in the team figure skating competition yesterday which resulted in a gold medal for Team Russia and a silver for Team Canada.  I love young people.  I remember the years when I still believed anything was possible and there was no limit to my dreams.  Perhaps that is what I see in Olympic athletes and why I love the competition so much.  Even the losers are winners as long as they are chasing their dreams.

Play on.

No comments:

Post a Comment