Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pennies From Heaven

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven
Don't you know each cloud contains pennies from heaven?
You'll find your fortune's fallin' all over the town
Be sure that your umbrella is upside down

- Lyrics to Pennies From Heaven written by Johnny Burke

Every time I start to panic that I'm running out of pennies to do the myriad of penny projects I have planned, I stumble on a new lot of them.  I was sure I had found all the old pennies stashed in boxes and drawers around the house, but last week I found another batch at the back of a desk drawer and this morning I found a stash tucked away in the corner of our bedroom.  I don't know why I have them, or how long they've been there but I'm glad to have them.  Strangely, squirreled away pennies aren't the only ones I've been finding.  Last week I found one in the pocket of my new coat.  I have no explanation for that as we haven't used pennies for currency in more than a year and I've only had the coat for a month or two.  This morning I found one on the floor of the passenger side of my car.  It's not like the car hasn't been cleaned over and over.  I don't know where it came from.  It wasn't there a couple of days ago.

 After my dad passed away twenty-one years ago, my sister Nancy believed found pennies were a gift from him.  It was her sign that he was still watching over her.  We each had our own thing.  Cathy thought he sent her songs on the radio.  I thought he sent me rainbows.  These past six months have presented some challenges in the lives of me and my sisters.  For the first time in twenty-one years, I haven't been able to feel the presence of my father.  I have felt alone as if he has finally moved on and left me to my own devices.  At first I felt deserted.  I have relied heavily on the ethereal presence of my dad, drawing strength from his love and care, knowing he was with me even though I can't see him anymore.  I sensed him.  Felt him.  Heard him.  When the day came that I could no longer do those things, I began to grieve anew.  My sisters assure me he is still here with me.  I'd like to believe they are right.

There have been no rainbows but maybe if I work hard at it, I will be able to convince myself that every found copper is a penny from heaven.  It may just be wishful thinking but it would probably make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment