Friday, June 7, 2013

Priorities

“The most important thing in life is knowing the most important things in life.”  - David F. Jakielo


In about a half hour, Merv and I will leave for the airport to collect a young couple who will be our house guests for the next two weeks.  Emma is the daughter of Merv's best friend Myron.  The last time she was in Toronto, she came for our wedding.  She was nine.  Emma will be accompanied by her husband Neil.  He is a nice young man who we had the chance to meet when we visited England a couple of years ago.  Emma and Neil have been planning this trip since last fall.  I had a whole host of plans of my own - all the things I wanted to get done in the house before their arrival. The good news is, the guest room is ready.  The bad news is, nothing else got done. 


It is as if the gods have conspired against me in the last six weeks.  I had great plans to overhaul my office, rearrange the main floor family room, clean all the closets and the fourth bedroom on the second floor which is filled with junk.  Then, I tore my rotator cuff.  For a month, it was all I could do to meet the tasks of daily living.  Then work got away from me.  Other things arose.  One of my young friends needed to be accompanied to her oncology appointment which ended up taking a whole day.  A couple of friends needed an ear.  The rummage sale at Mom's nursing home was scheduled for last Friday.  And the issues with my eye kept me at the hospital for the whole day yesterday.  I can't complain.  My news at PMH and at Toronto Western was good.  My young friend also got an all clear at PMH. 


Emma and Neil are a lovely couple.  Maybe they won't notice the clutter or maybe they will be kind enough to pretend they don't notice.  Either way, it will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment