Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bathing Suit Shopping

"People shop for a bathing suit with more care than they do a husband or wife. The rules are the same. Look for something you'll feel comfortable wearing. Allow for room to grow. "
- Erma Bombeck

It occurred to me a couple of days ago that most of my bathing suits have seen better days and I should probably buy a new suit before Merv and I head to Puerto Rico for our sun vacation. So I summoned up all my courage yesterday and headed out for a session of self-torture. There is nothing like bathing suit shopping to make me feel bad about myself. I bought a great suit last year but I was at my all time heaviest then and the suit was a bit big for me even when I bought it so it's definitely out for this year. I thought I might consider something different than the standard black one piece this time - a two piece with a full waist-high bottom and a hip-length top. By the time I had shopped for an hour, I would have been happy to settle for the standard but it would seem a new suit wasn't in the cards for me yesterday. The choices were poor. The prints ugly. The cuts insufficient to contain my curves. I hate bathing suit shopping.

After dragging myself from one end of the mall to the other with no success, I gave up and decided to go to a movie instead. The Vow was the next movie playing at the mall theatre so I bought a bag of popcorn and settled in. It is a sweet movie. No violence. No graphic content. No bad language. Just the kind of movie to soothe a wounded bathing suit shopper on a Tuesday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment