Thursday, February 2, 2012

Groundhog Lights?


"This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather." - Phil Connors


Am I the only person who has noticed that a whole lot of people still have their Christmas lights up even though it's February 2? I don't ever remember a Groundhog Day that looks more like December than February. Was there a memo I forgot to read? It can't be that the weather has been too inclement to take the lights down. On the contrary, it is strangely warm. There is no snow, no ice, nothing of note to prevent people from taking their ladders out of their garages.

Tonight I went with my friends Geraldine and Brian to the private opening party of a new restaurant on Yonge Street near Eglinton. I easily counted fifty houses between the restaurant and home where the Christmas lights were still in full blaze. I just don't get it. Admittedly they lend an aura of festivity to the winter night but they still seem odd to me.

Wiarton Willy didn't see his shadow this morning, predicting an early spring. It will be here in about six weeks. Punxatawny Phil saw his shadow, predicting a late spring arriving in about six weeks. Don't you love Groundhog Day? The groundhog sees his shadow or doesn't. Spring will come early, in about six weeks or late, in about six weeks. Either way, he's right.

Happy Groundhog Day Birthdays to my friends Nancy and Fran. And Happy Groundhog Day to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment