Monday, September 19, 2011

Working With Wood

"I like to work a lot with wood. I make furniture that falls apart. I also sew."
- Tim Conway

Before heading to the lake to spend a couple of days with Cath and Geraldine, I headed to Queen Street to buy some new jewelry making supplies. I didn't really have anything in mind before I left. For the last year I've been doing a lot of work with pearls but my interest in the stones has been waning of late. I didn't have any sense of what the next draw would be. I didn't expect it to be wood but it is the wooden beads that attracted me.

There is something about the feel of polished wood in my hands that I find soothing. I haven't worked in wood before so it was a fresh experience that unleashed some new ideas. My first three wood pieces are all quite whimsical. But I've been thinking about doing something different - perhaps mixing wood with some elegant polished stones and sterling pieces.

Merv is away for a few days so I plan to take my beads to bed and play with them a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment