Friday, September 9, 2011

September

“I love September, especially when we're in it.” - Willie Stargell


It's already the ninth of September. Jacob has been back in Guelph for nearly a week and the air of the mornings have the smell and feel of autumn. Tomorrow I will, for the ninth time, participate in the Weekend to End Women's Cancers. My days of walking the 60K route are done. I don't even have my lost toenails back from last year's walk. But I will work on the crew to support the walkers and I know from experience that is hard, but important work too.

This year our crew chose the theme "La Vie En Rose" for the pit stop we will run. Dressing for the event seemed it would be easy when it was chosen but it wasn't quite as simple as I had anticipated. Who knew it was going to be so hard to find berets? At the beginning, my quest was to buy pink berets for our team. But after months of looking, I decided I'd live with black or blue if I could find them at a reasonable price. Even that seemed it wasn't going to happen. But one last try this morning resulted in the purchase of four cream berets for me, my sisters and my friend Nancy. And just to sweeten the deal, they were on sale. I also bought short fingerless pink net gloves to complete my ensemble of pink and white striped shirt worn with a flared black skirt, fishnet stockings and a small pink scarf. Not that I anticipate the skirt and fishnets will last long before I trade them for runners and jeans. They'll be fun for the team photo though.

If you happen to be driving through the city this weekend and you pass the walkers, please honk and wave. Even the small gestures of support mean so much in helping people continue along the way. And of course, there is still time to donate if you are so inclined. You can do that by going to www.endcancer.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment