Saturday, September 3, 2011

Just Breathe

"The most profound statements are often said in silence."
- Lynn Johnston

Not a single word was spoken by any of us from the time we left our driveway until the time we pulled into the driveway at Jacob's house in Guelph. Sometimes there are no words. When we got on the 401 this morning, the traffic was moving with real efficiency. I watched the signs along the highway whizzing by with angst-producing speed. Mississauga. Oakville. Georgetown. Halton Hills. Wellington County. With each sign the knot in my stomach tightened. By the time we passed the Halton Hills sign I was reminding myself to breathe.

It is all so silly. Why am I still feeling this way? He is in his third year. There have been many goodbyes and many hellos. Am I ever going to get over this feeling? Isn't it supposed to get easier each time? We carried his things into the house. Merv helped him to set up his room while I unpacked the groceries I had bought. We kissed him goodbye and got in the car to drive home. And in the noise filled silence, I reminded myself to breathe.

1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe he's in 3rd year. Nice to hear that he's helping with the orientation. /g

    ReplyDelete