Monday, April 25, 2011

One More Sleep

April is a promise that May is bound to keep. ~Hal Borland


Strangely enough, even knowing that in just two days he would be coming home, I found it particularly hard to part with Jacob on Easter Sunday. I struggled to find even one more goodbye left in my soul. There have been too many. He wrote his last exam this evening though he claims he has no idea how he did. I sincerely hope he passed. His marks are all stellar except for this one course in circuits. The exam was the whole enchilada as the midterm marks were so poor in aggregate that the university threw out the midterm results.

I had breakfast with Sara this morning. It was a treat to spend a bit of time with her. I hadn't seen her since February when she was home for reading week. I refused to say goodbye when I dropped her off this afternoon. She too had to head back to school for one last exam. We agreed we would see one another next week and left it at that. Like Jacob, Sara is ready to be home. Ready to sleep in her own bed and be with her family. And like Jacob, she has matured a great deal this year.

Tomorrow is Geraldine's birthday. She is clearly struggling under the weight of the difficulties her family members have been having. Her sister Beverley is still in intensive care following surgery for a brain tumor. Today her father collapsed during a day trip to London and spent much of the day at the University Hospital. I've been staying close to Geraldine all week. But apart from babysitting the dog, cooking and praying, I don't know how else to help. I wish I could take some of the burden from her shoulders. I know she is tough and she will get through it, but I still wish there was something more I could do.




No comments:

Post a Comment