Thursday, April 21, 2011

On High Speed

Awake, thou wintry earth -
Fling off thy sadness!
Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth
Your ancient gladness!
~Thomas Blackburn, "An Easter Hymn"


My closets, along with all my best intentions remain undone. I did not get a single chore done that I intended to accomplish while Merv was away. Somehow the week conspired to keep me away from my chores. After a long period of famine, I have once again hit feast in my work life. A number of clients have materialized with projects that need to be done ASAP. They are all experiencing crises at the same time. Keeping up with the demands has consumed my days. My nights have also disappeared. A dinner invitation on Monday, a board meeting on Tuesday and a day and night of unexpected events on Wednesday. My dear friend Geraldine's sister was diagnosed with a brain tumor yesterday morning and had emergency surgery late last night. It is a difficult situation. Family have been called to come from all corners. Yesterday I took Dora for the day, did some work and made a start on some Easter crafts I was hoping to finish today but have yet to get to. I took Dora to Cath and Stan's after accepting a last minute invitation from Stan. By the end of the evening I was exhausted.

Today started at 6:00 A.M. I made an early morning trip to the grocery store to buy food I could prepare to take to Geraldine's to relieve some of the pressure of feeding her many unexpected guests. I put a pot of short ribs in the slow cooker before I left for Guelph to pick Jacob up for the weekend. Traffic was terrible and the round trip got us home a little later than I planned. As soon as we were back and the car was unloaded, I picked Geraldine up for a trip to Costco. An hour and a half later were were back with our purchases with just enough time to put everything away before Cath and Nan arrived for a planned afternoon of cupcake decorating. They left at 7:30 at which time I put dinner in the oven for Jacob and I and then made a run to the beer store to lay in a supply for our annual Good Friday dinner tomorrow. I am exhausted.

Sometime before I go to bed I must finish the glittered eggs that I have only half done. I also want to set the table. I will sleep well tonight in spite of my messy closets. There is always next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment