Monday, April 11, 2011

Of Feet and Fashion

"All God's children need traveling shoes." - Maya Angelou

Just in time for sandal season, I lost the big toenail on my left foot. My right foot big toenail is soon to follow. When I saw the amount of damage I had done to my poor feet after the Weekend to End Women's Cancers, I thought the good news was that at least they would be healed in time for sandal season. I had three black nails in the days after the walk. I lost one of them in November and it soon grew back. But as nothing much seemed to happen to my big toes, I thought perhaps they would just grow out without falling off. No such luck. I had a pedicure just before we went to Mexico so that my feet would at least be presentable on the beach. They looked nice but I ended up with a raging infection in both big toes. Wearing shoes has been a challenge but one that I thought I could deal with because it is almost sandal season. Now that my nails are gone or going, I need to move to Plan B.

For the next few months, I'm going to need to keep my big toes covered. But plain bandages look quite awful. So I'm on the hunt for bandages as a fashion statement. I know I can buy Dora the Explorer and Sponge Bob Squarepants bandages at the dollar store but that's not quite what I have in mind. So my quest of the week will be to buy fashion forward bandages that I can change to match my outfits - florals, animal prints, bright colours or geometric patterns. I'm not sure where I'll find them but I know they exist. If in your travels you happen to come across any, please drop me a line and let me know where they are.




No comments:

Post a Comment