Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow Snow and More Snow

"A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water." ~Carl Reiner


I'm sitting in the family room watching the snow accumulate outside my window. Snow is pretty but I don't care for it much. I've been feeling the itch to make a trip to Guelph. It's been two weeks since I've seen Jacob and if I don't see him this week, I won't have another opportunity for a couple more weeks. I've had a really busy week - all board business, all the time. Both the clinic and Willow are sucking up my life these days. I tried to arrange with Jacob to go for a visit yesterday but he was busy with classes. So we agreed I would go Saturday. The weather forecast yesterday morning was for terrible weather and driving conditions on Saturday so yesterday afternoon we changed our plans so I would go late this afternoon. But I woke up to snow today with a new prediction that it will continue all day. The 401 has been closed in both directions at Guelph Line due to a tractor-trailer accident resulting in a spilled load. The highway will stay closed for several hours at a minimum. Add to that, there are problems on the 401 at Highway 6. So it was with real disappointment that I sent Jacob a text this morning to tell him I'm not going. The forecast this morning is for better weather tomorrow so I've moved my visit back to the original plan. Even if the weather is lousy, at least I will be able to do both ends of the drive in daylight.

This afternoon I will bake a batch of brownies to take with me tomorrow. I'll also put together some slow cooker kits that can be frozen and dumped into his Crockpot before he leaves for school in the morning with the reward of a hot delicious dinner ready upon his return. It's not much, but it's something. A little bit of mother love to greet him on a cold winter's day.

I've been shopping regularly these past two weeks to try and find a new dress to wear to Oprah's show on Wednesday but I've had no success. Audience members are requested to wear bright colours but I haven't found a brightly coloured dress at any price point. I think I'm going to settle for the red dress I have in my closet already and save my shopping for Chicago. If all goes well I will have a number of hours to shop on Tuesday. If I find something to wear the next day, great. If I don't, that's okay too.

Cath has been in bed all week with a wicked case of flu. As long as she is back on her feet and well enough to be with me in Chicago, I will have everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment