Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Kind of Town

"My first day in Chicago, September 4, 1983. I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it was like roots, like the motherland. I knew I belonged here."
- Oprah Winfrey


We arrived in Chicago a couple of hours late following an uneventful flight. I had forgotten how beautiful the architecture is in the city. We were able to check into our hotel upon arrival. After leaving our luggage in our room we headed out for lunch and shopping on the Golden Mile. Lunch was a fantastic assortment of shared dishes at the Grand Lux on Ontario Street, just off Michigan Avenue. Then a brief stop at Ann Taylor before heading to Macy's. We stayed at Macy's for five hours. Much of the merchandise in the store today was 70% off. We had a really good time. I even managed to score a Calvin Klein dress from the new spring collection at 50% off. We all got great deals. At about 3:30 this afternoon, I received an email from Brian. Brian and Geraldine's daughter Courtney, was in labour. At about 9:00 tonight we got the word and the first pictures of a lovely little girl, 7 lbs. even. No word on the name yet.

Our scheduled early morning start at Oprah's tomorrow was cancelled. We are now attending the 11:00 a.m. taping rather than the earlier show. Works for me. At least we won't have to line up at 6:00 a.m. We'll have a better opportunity for a good breakfast. Our excitement is palpable. We still have no idea what the topic of the show will be. I'm guessing it is Oprah's birthday show. Doesn't much matter. Whatever it is, it is a dream come true.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Baby Girl! Geraldine must have been frustrated to miss her new granddaughter's entrance.

    ReplyDelete