Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

"On Mother's Day I have written a poem for you. In the interest of poetic economy and truth, I have succeeded in concentrating my deepest feelings and beliefs into two perfectly crafted lines: You're my mother, I would have no other!"
~ Forest Houtenschil


I love Mother's Day. It is a celebration of the very best part of me and my life. I am a natural born mother. I've loved every day of motherhood these past eighteen plus years. Being celebrated on Mother's Day is like the icing on the cake.

I started my day being presented by Merv and Jacob with a new Sony Book Reader. I was more than thrilled when I saw the box. I've wanted a book reader for more than a year since I bought one for Merv for his birthday last year. It used to be that when we went on vacation, Merv and I would each bring four or five books and then we would swap books when we were done. But since Merv got his reader, I have had to take a seven or eight books when we go away on vacation and when we were in Aruba, I ran out. My luggage weighed a ton. I would find myself on the beach at the end of the day or week, giving my books away to other tourists who might enjoy a good read. Now that I have my book reader I won't need to worry about it. It holds more than 1,000 books. And just to make it extra special, the reader is pink. I am thrilled.

This afternoon I went to see my mom and to participate in the Mother's Day tea taking place at the nursing home. I did see mom but she didn't see me. She was so tired after lunch that she went to bed for a nap and she slept the whole time I was at the nursing home. I left some pink roses and a card from Jacob in her rooom.

My boys made dinner tonight which was a real treat. We were joined by our friend John Petersons whose parents Nancy and Aivars have gone away for a few days. Merv made cedar planked salmon, rice and asparagus. It was a delicious meal.

All in all, it has been a terrific, special day. The truth is though, everyday of my life has been special since August 17, 1991. Not only was a wonderful child born that day but a lucky mother was born too.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's day Jackie!
    You have always been such a wonderful friend and great encourager and inspiration to me and to the many women in your life.
    I am grateful to God for the gift of love he shares to us through the wonderful children he blesses into our lives. Thank you for being that child and your unconditional loving to me. Paula

    ReplyDelete