Saturday, October 3, 2009

Homesick

"You can never go home again, but the truth is you can never leave home, so it's all right." ~Maya Angelou


Jacob is homesick. For the very first time since he left for university, he called and admitted to being homesick. He has a head cold. He misses his friends. He misses my cooking. He's a bit lonely. It took everything I have not to get in my car, drive to Guelph and bring him home for the weekend. The truth is, I'm homesick too and I'm at home. I'm homesick for how much fuller the house is when Jacob is here. I miss him so much. I miss his friends. I miss cooking for an army of kids. I miss staying up late with Jacob to watch reruns of House. I miss kissing him good night and good morning.

It's Saturday night. Merv is away for the weekend. I am alone. I've ordered pizza and opened a split of champagne. I plan to tackle my bedroom closet. The house feels so big. In six days Jacob will be home for the long weekend. In two weeks we'll be in Rome. I shouldn't be blue. There is so much to look forward to. But today, my baby is homesick and so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment