Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Boys in the Photograph

"I remember who I am." - John Kelly in The Boys in the Photograph


It is Thanksgiving weekend and Jacob and his friends are all home from school for the weekend. Last night they attended a homecoming reception at their high school where Jacob's closely cropped hair garnered a lot of attention. While Jacob spent the evening getting caught up with his friends, Merv and I went to the Royal Alex to see The Boys in the Photograph.

The "Boys" is a musical production set in Belfast beginning in 1969. It is the story of a Catholic boys' football team and their coming of age during a period of high unrest. It closely follows the maturing of five of the boys and the young women in their lives. Merv and I both enjoyed it.

Tonight the seven boys who make up Jacob's core of friends will be coming to our house for dinner, video games and hang-out time. I've made a big pot of chili and stocked up on snacks and soft drinks. I've missed my boys a lot and they're going to have to get braced for lots of hugs tonight. They will, no doubt, make a lot of noise and leave a huge mess. I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment