Sunday, November 8, 2015

Ten Years of Profound Gratitude

"Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed.  Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude." - Denis Waitley

Ten years ago today, I spent a long, sleepless night praying for time.  In the early morning hours of November 9, I would head to Princess Margaret for surgery.  It was step one in my breast cancer journey.  I was scared, to be sure.  I didn't want the pain, but I've had enough experience with pain during my life to know I could handle it.  I didn't want the disfigurement but I have enough scars to know I would eventually stop seeing it.  What worried me most was that I might not wake up from surgery and that anguish is what filled my thoughts that night.  I asked God over and over, for the time to raise my son.  Jacob was only fourteen.

My prayers were answered.  Jacob is grown now and I have had ten years of joy watching him become an extraordinary man. I got exactly what I asked for.  A couple of nights ago, I found myself praying again.  I am profoundly grateful for the gift of these ten years but I want more time.  A lot more time.  I want to dance at Jacob's wedding.  I want to hold my grandchildren.  I want to revel in retirement.  I want to see Paris, Sydney and Tokyo.  I want to finish the book I've been working on in dribs and drabs for the past five years.  I want to grow old.

Every morning for these past ten years, I have awoken with gratitude.  Every morning I have started my day with whispered thanks for the time.  I am so lucky.  I am so thankful.  I am so blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment