Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Trying to Heal

"High expectations are the key to everything." - Sam Walton 

I'm now in my fourth week of being down with three herniated discs.  I've met the first two of the three goals I set for myself at the start of this latest round of back trouble.  I sat at the dinner table for Jacob's birthday and I went out with Merv, Jacob and Courtney for dinner to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.  That was a week ago today.  By the end of two hours of sitting in the restaurant, I was paralyzed by pain.  Nonetheless, I did not regret having gone.  A quarter of a century of marriage is worthy of celebration.  We had a good time.  It was worth it.

A week later, my expectation that I would be further along the path of healing has been crushed.  I've made little progress.  I took a few steps forward and then a few steps back.  I developed new symptoms and new problems.  Today I spent an hour and a half in physiotherapy.  It was a gruelling session.  I feel like I've been beaten.  I only have eight days left to get in good enough shape to meet my third goal - a trip to England to attend a family wedding.  From where I lay today, it seems a bit like a pipe dream.  But I am determined.  I am striving.  I am praying.  God help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment