Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Progress

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." - Marie Curie
 
 I checked the box on goal number one - to sit at the dinner table on Jacob's birthday.  Other than my presence at the table and my debit card, I contributed nothing to the events of the weekend.  Courtney did all the shopping, cooking, set up and clean up for Jacob's birthday party with his friends on Saturday and his family birthday dinner on Sunday.  Until dinner on Sunday night, I stayed flat on my back trying to practise the art of surrender.  My surrender mechanism still needs some work but there was little I could do in any event.  I eventually made my way down the stairs on Sunday afternoon, taking them one at a time on my seat.  And with a lot of determination I sat at the dinner table for an hour until I simply couldn't do it any more.
 
By yesterday morning my pain level had escalated to high but I once again went down the stairs on my seat and spent time with Gail who graciously arrived with lunch and iced coffee.  It was great to have some time together and even greater to have Gail grace me with healing energy which warmed the foot of my painful leg and eased the spasms that had me crying before her arrival.  
 
A night of sound sleep, the first in weeks, was followed this morning by a session with my physiotherapist.  Claire is a gentle soul but a no nonsense therapist and I spent an hour and a half reminding myself that no pain would result in no gain.  By the end of the session though feeling battered and sore, I could stand mostly upright.  The rest of the day has been spent laying low, resting, icing and doing my stretching exercises.  Tomorrow is our 25th wedding anniversary and I am determined that I will be upright enough and strong enough to be able to go out for dinner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment