Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Going, Going...



“Time flies never to be recalled.” - Virgil

In just a few hours, I will enter the last year of my 50s.  I don't so much mind the number.  I'm not upset about being almost 60 but I have to admit I am surprised by it. And yes, I know that sounds crazy.  I know that 59 comes after 58, but I'm having trouble believing that it is here already.  I could swear it was only a month or so ago that I blogged about turning 58.

When I was little my parents told me that time moved faster as we grew older.  It was a concept that made no sense to me. Those were the days when summer holidays seemed to last forever.  When I counted birthdays in quarter years, always wanting to be a little older, a little faster.  I was seven and a quarter or nine and a half.  I counted the seemingly endless days of the year I was seventeen until I could vote and drink legally.  I thoroughly enjoyed my twenties but they didn't fly by.  In reflection, I didn't notice the shift in time until I became a mother.  Jacob grew so fast I often wished time would slow down just a little so I could keep him small for a while longer.  But of course time did not cooperate.

So here I am, on the eve of my 59th birthday feeling surprised.  One more to the big 6 Oh.  At the rate time is moving that may be next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment